Nearly seven years ago, we had our world abruptly changed when our son, Joey, was born with Down syndrome. What seemed really scary at first has turned into one of the biggest blessings we could ever imagine.
Neither of us had ever done fund-raising or event planning, but the birth of Joey compelled us to create the 1 st Annual Joey Hebert`
Classic (JHC) for Down Syndrome Golf Tournament. The golf tournament, dinner, and silent auction provided a way to bring our family,friends, and others in the community together to celebrate Joey, help build awareness and raise money for Down syndrome.
Now in its sixth year, the JHC has sold out each year with 144 golfers participating and over 100 additional supporters attending the dinner and silent auction. The Classic has raised an amazing $210,000 – all proceeds have gone directly to the Down Syndrome Association of Minnesota (DSAM). The JHC has become the second largest fundraiser for DSAM in its five short years! This year's tournament will be held on Monday, August 6th at Deer Run Golf Club in Victoria, MN.
Save The Date
What does the number 6 have in common with me and the Joey Hebert Classic? Well, I'm 6 years old, this year is the 6th Annual Joey Hebert Classic (JHC) for Down Syndrome, being held on August 6th! So mark your calendars and:
SAVE THE DATE - 6th ANNUAL JOEY HEBERT CLASSIC - MONDAY AUGUST 6, 2012
DEER RUN GOLF CLUB - VICTORIA, MN
In the spirit of 6, here are my 6 top ideas on why you should attend. If you:
- Want to see a grown man (my Dad, Alvin) cry while wearing the ugliest pair of shorts ever made...
- Want to golf at the "Best 2012 Public Golf Course in Minnesota" (as voted by WCCO TV viewers)...
- Want to win $20,000 for a hole in one (we all know you aren't that good, but it's funny hearing 144 people tell me they were only inches away...)
- Want to join us in sharing our passion and commitment to improving the lives of people with Down syndrome by increasing our donations to the Down Syndrome Association of MN (DSAM) from $210,000 to $250,000...
- Want to help us continue to significantly improve the lives of children and adults and their families in Minnesota and Wisconsin living with Down syndrome through education and programs, including opportunities for adults with Down syndrome to travel around the country to see and learn about unique places...
- Want to spend some time with Alvin, Colleen, Chloe, Joey and Harper (it might as well be for a good cause)...
...then you should attend!
It is sure to be another really fun day, so I hope you can come again this year. Please mark your calendars and save the date!
We can't wait to see you there!
along with Alvin, Colleen, Chloe & Harper